Fwd: Getting IMEI from uboot

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Mon Sep 29 17:50:09 CEST 2008

Hi Francesco, Andy,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:53:33AM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> | A.Actually I've discovered that GSM passthrough doesn't work anymore
> |
> | http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1595
> |
> | Can you confirm this ? Anybody knows what is the possible cause ? (If
> | yes, I'll investigate) The gsm_power_on function seems to act
> | correctly on GPIO.
>
> Sorry, never used it, no idea.  U-Boot support for anything is pretty
> much deprecated since we plan to do stuff once in Linux only going on.

nevertheless, there are existing customers/users and projects that [want to]
use the existing and deployed devices that ship with u-boot.

If it is still not resolved, I will look at this issue once I've returned from
the netfilter developer summit.  I am confident to be able to provide a fix
until Sunday, October 05.

> | B.I don't know really how to read a file from the factory parrtition
> | while working on u-boot. Any suggestion is welcome.
> |
> | Thank you for your attention,
>
> You can read the factory partition while in Linux, it's way easier.

(I have to mention that I know Francesco as well as the project he's working
on).  He needs to determine the IMEI in the bootloader for the security related
project.  Obtaining it from the GSM modem in passthrough mode was working on
GTA01, and it should also work on GTA02.  I would definitely prefer this method
to reading files from the factory partition, since the latter could be
corrupted in some worst-case scenario.

Since the factory partition was introduced after I left Openmoko, and I don't
have any device that actually has a factory partition, I cannot provide any
hint on how to access it from u-boot itself.

I'll try to get my hands on a GTA02 out of mass production and see what we can
do, though.