ar6000 problems (was: Re: Proposal for further openmoko kernel development)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:26:36 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:48:38PM +0900, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:15:09PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> > > * ar6000
> > >    No change of merging upstream. Never ever!
> >
> > We should just send that beauty "as is" and watch the flame war of
> > the century ;-))
>
> isn't that the ideal candidate for greg-kh's experimental driver tree?  He says
> he accepts anything that compiles and is GPL licensed...

Harald, i hope you know that Werner did a tremendous work trying to improve
wifi reliability for us, 15000 freerunner users. He came to conclusion that
even when somebody at least as brave as Hercules (it requires quite some
courage to deal with large amounts of shit) will "fix" or "rewrite the
relevant portions of" ar6000 driver we'd be still SOL due to the firmware
bugs. What bothered him most is the fact firmware halted on any assert()
because it was compiled with debug options on.

I know you're a magician. Is it possible you have some connections in
Atheros that might help us to get some remedy (at least a firmware that
doesn't halt on assert() and a way to flash it)? Since Atheros became
pro-"opensource" recently and OpenMoko Freerunner received a good amount of
publicity i hope it's not too naive to hope Atheros might do something to
ease our pain.

Looking forward to the magic to happen and great TIA. :D

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com