Status NAND Hardware ECC

Sven Rebhan odinshorse at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:27:50 CET 2009

2009/2/11 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>:
> Sounds good, what's the upstream way?

The upstream way is to use the kernel option
CONFIG_MTD_NAND_S3C2410_HWECC. That way we need to know if hardware
ECC is available at compile time, which should be very hard for the
packaging guys. The hard way would be to provide two kernel versions,
one for the NANDs flashed with the old dfu-utils and one for the
not-yet-available-new-dfu-util (???). ;-) This would however in the
longrun either force the people to reflash their phone (note one could
make this depend on the phone-type GTA01: default off, GTA02: default
on) or force the distros to maintain two kernel builds...

I don't know what to do here, but I like the idea to fallback to
software ECC if hardware ECC fails. What would be a relyable way to
detect this?

Sven