RFC: Touchscreen Filters document

Nelson Castillo arhuaco at freaks-unidos.net
Tue Jan 6 13:09:19 CET 2009

Hello.

We prepared a document that explains what the touchscreen filters
are for, the benefits, etc.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Touchscreen_Filters

In a previous discussion [1] some concerns were raised and I think
that the conclusion
was:

- Having the filters in kernel space has some advantages (specially in
the case of the
 GTA01/02 where we have a lot of noise)
- Nothing is being imposed. Distributors need to use TSLIB right now
because Xglamo
  does not allow to read directly from  /dev/input/eventX. It seems
that there are/were
  patches that allow Xglamo to read evdev input directly [2] .
- Some people didn't think this filtering belonged to kernel space.
They said it is
  OK for a driver to send unreliable data to user space.

The idea of the document is to show what we are trying to do in a
concise way so that
we can get some feedback. It has links to videos that show how the TS
performs with
different filters.

In the spirit of doing what helps us get the filters upstream, what do
you think of this document?
How can we improve it? Feedback is welcome :-)

http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Touchscreen_Filters

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-December/003888.html
[2] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-December/003901.html

Thanks,