Isn't Wifi supposed to be off by default?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 14 12:50:34 CET 2009

Andy Green wrote:
> but
> the stuff to control power properly is waiting on Werner finishing
> squeezing as much email as possible out of it [...]

Says he who keeps on starting those arguments ;-) By the way,
have you noticed that my "unnecessary" questions have yielded a
completely new consensus among the "owners" of rfkill ?

> [...] and doing the rfkill
> stuff, at which point we will rip out the existing arrangements and
> leave it alone by default.

Hmm, I think you should be careful about advertizing rfkill as a
power-saving mechanism, because that's not what it is designed to
be. In our case, the implementation will end up being equivalent
to unbind/bind, which is as good as it gets, but there's nothing
in the rfkill architecture that says that there isn't a better
way to save power. In fact, you're not even guaranteed to save
any power.

Unfortunately, this means that power saving is still something
whose mechanism needs to be decided on a case by case basis.