Isn't Wifi supposed to be off by default?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 16 12:05:34 CET 2009

Andy Green wrote:
> Which clock, SDIO external clock?  We can gate it to only operate during
> pending access like we did Glamo.

Yes, it's something that's probably safe to implement in the S3C MCI
driver. Nothing else in the system needs to know about it.

>  It won't hurt GPS and it will block bulk of this 17mW I guess.

Yes, when I stopped the clock by just forcing the pin low, I got
the same current reduction (within measurement tolerances, i.e.,
about +/-1.5mA in this case) as when shutting down the driver
completely.

> So we explain the kernel policy for "turning off" WLAN is to either not
> insert the modules, or modprobe -r them.

For now, yes. Or to unbind it, if you want to avoid module
insertion/removal overhead and make things work in a monolithic
kernel as well.

> We can take out the /sys if that claims to impact this then, and we're done?

Yeah, I'll send you a patch that drops it from sysfs. We still
need the internal mechanism to reset the module, but that can
be a lot simpler.