force usb charge current

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 20:03:04 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 18:47, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
> There is a global "at the USB connector" current limit, but it only has
> those steps, 100, 500, or 1000mA.
>
> You could add ability to force max charging current separately, and
> estimate a maximum current for "everything else" but it doesn't seem
> like a good idea to me when WLAN can add >100mA, GSM unit might decide
> to do something, etc and you only had a budget of 350mA to start with.

Ok.

Is this charging current limit setting already available with current kernel ?

Anyway it looks better than nothing. For example setting max battery
charge current to 100mA should allow to not continuously draw too much
through usb, and allow to keep battery charge.
And when battery is near empty, not limiting charge current probably
means usb current will be max (ie 500mA) continuously....

This would not avoid possibility to exceed 350mA, but at least not always...

When the phone calls for more current (GSM,...), will it first claim
from usb if max (500) is not yet reached, then from battery, or the
opposite.... or it just depends on... different things :-p ?