force usb charge current

Cédric Berger cedric.berger74 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:54:24 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 21:00, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
> Hum I don't really love the idea of exposing it, since it feels like the
> point we are being too tricksy for our own good: but it doesn't increase
> danger on USB side due to the USB total current limit thing you can
> already force, and since we max it out by default it doesn't increase
> danger on battery side.  The only bad thing you can do with it is
> basically defeat the charging action by reducing the max charging
> current down to nothing, but even that action is reset in the bootloader
> next boot.

I also believe that it could be really usefull when using some
external battery pack on usb to extend autonomy (ie when the aim is
not to recharge the phone).
Draining your pack only to charge the battery which will then be
emptied also is just waste of power (and the more amps it drains, the
less efficient it is).