trying Qi

HackCandy hackhell.candy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 22:40:29 CET 2009

Hi Andy/Werner,

As far as I have seen from the threads,
We are going to use QI fully burying U-boot.

Assumptions:
So, Bootloader going to be used is: Qi
Method to switch between distros: Not AUX button
			(with vibrate indication)

1) If bootloader is going to be Qi and if we have multiple distros in SD
card
(and if we are going to use Menu option for distro selection using a minimal
rootfs),
then the first partition should contain the Kernel + minimal rootfs, so that
Qi can pull
it and present to the user for selection. Otherwise, (say some other distro
is present)
user will not have an option to select. It straight away boots off from the
P2.

Note: Qi checks for the kernel in SD card P1, P2, P3 and finally NAND.

So it mandates the SD P1 to contain Kernel + minimal rootfs.

2) Also, the above case works well if the SD contains Kernel + minimal
rootfs
partition alone and no other distro partitions. That is, Qi will pick the
alone
SD P1 Kernel & Minimal FS, and present a UI to the user which contains the
NAND
only boot option.

3) If we make the Kernel + minimal RFS in the flash, we need to change the
order
of Qi to look into NAND first and then SD P1, P2 and P3. Will that be
possible?

If we are going to place the Minimal Kernel + RFS inside the NAND flash, Can
Qi
identify it properly? {Because there will be two kernels as well as 2
filesystems
(one minimal and the other jffs2 which contains a distro)}

I am confused. :(

Sorry if something seems stupid.

- HHC.