Proposal for further openmoko kernel development

Stefan Schmidt stefan at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 29 13:31:00 CEST 2009

Hello.

On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 12:24, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >May I ask you why you want to use complete trees for the split instead of
> >branches? What are you talking about here sounds a lot like topic branches to
> >me. A branch in your tree to work on a special feature/topic. You want a
> >patchstack like in quilt but using git features for it.
> >
> >We tried stgit and guilt for exactly this setup at OpenEZX. Both failed due to
> >being useable for one person only, not a team. Then we found topgit and went
> >happy. :)
> >
> >Topgit offers topic branches with interdependencies and the metadata available
> >for all team members in the git repo. Do a tg patch export in one topic branch
> >and you get all commits in this branch merged together in one nice clean patch.
> >Like quilt but this time with version control as well. :)
> >
> >http://repo.or.cz/w/topgit.git?a=blob;f=README
> Yep, topgit pretty much looks like what I was looking for. I want to
> keep track of set of related patches in a bigger tree.

Good.

> >You really should avoid rebasing branches that are available public. It breaks a
> >lot for people that are trying to work with you in such a branch. Ask werner
> >about the problems he had with andy-trackinf being rebased all the time. (It
> >came from the fact that Andy did use stgit which worked well for him that way,
> >but not for others who did not have the stgit metadata). Rebasing should be a
> >local-only operation.
> I don't want to rebase public branches. What I want to do is to
> create a new branch starting at the current branch and then rebase
> the new upstream. As in:
> git checkout gta02-2.6.30 -b gta02-2.6.31
> git rebase v2.6.30 HEAD --onto v2.6.31

Ah, you want to do the rebase exactly once a new upstream release is out and
then push this into a new branch. That should work. With topgit this isn't
needed as well. We are using a master branch based on linus git HEAD and fix
everything needed in the topic branches with normal commits.

I just want to propose topgit here as it works pretty well for the OpenEZX
project. As topgit brings it's own workflow the core contributors here should
test it before making any decision.

regards
Stefan Schmidt