Freerunner's Future / How will the kernel be maintained?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Jun 3 09:37:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:52:59 -0300 Nelson Castillo <arhuaco at freaks-unidos.net>
said:

after having run e for years... i'll drop my advice here. it's simple. trust
people. let people send patches - i they send more than a few over a short
period, offer them commit access. people who ask for commit access get it. if
people commit and screw the kernel they of course get warnings and public
beat-downs. everyone knows who commits what and when - have a git commits list
that sends emails on every commit with the diff's. people who cause too much
trouble simply have their commit access revoked and are of course on a
blacklist. this happens incredibly rarely, so it' better to ask for forgiveness
than seek permission. of course this requires being willing to give up
direct control. you play for of a parent-figure just watching the kids play and
do heir thing - guiding every now and again and spanking when they really do go
astray. it reduces overhead significantly.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com