Proposal to send GSM sysfs patches on stable

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 13:05:23 CET 2009

Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> writes:
> | FSO (and therefore SHR) includes Werner's s3c24xx-gpio utility for
> | quite some time, so it's very easy to workaround in userspace, just
> | add two calls to bootscript.
>
> I learned the hard way we have no control over the various rootfs /
> distributions, many of them like to still issue 2.6.24.
>
> Also, that way we would crap up several rootfs with a workaround for
> something that should be fixed only by a kernel upgrade.

That's up to the distributions. Either they use a new kernel or
cherrypick fixes to their favourite rev or they introduce
workarounds. It's up to them to remove the workarounds when they
finally decide to fix kernel.

> I also observed many strange unrelated things getting blamed on Qi by
> customers, I guess because there is no LCM feedback at the moment.

Also UFOs are often blamed for all kinds of crap we have in life.

> So with these things in mind I conclude I should revert it despite it's
> obviously the "wrong thing to do" because it's the least wrong thing
> overall.

I dare to disagree. Why don't you ask the actual distribution
maintainers?

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com