what about support wifi in bootloader?

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Tue Mar 17 17:11:21 CET 2009

Ruini Xue wrote:
> hi, everyone,
>
>   I want to download the kernel via wifi during bootloading phase. I
> am not sure is it difficult to support WLAN directly in the bootloader
> (either uboot or Qi)? or is it better to adopt multi-stage
> bootloading: first boots up a stripped small linux, which supports
> wifi, and then downloads the kernel and boot it again?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, this is what you would do with a small linux
and kexec.   I've done this with wired ethernet connections on other
embedded devices, using all manner of protocols; the only concern I
would have with wifi would be reliability -- probably best to either
implement your own checksumming mechanism to ensure a reliable download
if you use simple protocols like tftp, ftp, or http to download.

Mike (mwester)