Patches for GTA01 on Andy-tracking

Michael Buesch mb at bu3sch.de
Sun Mar 22 20:58:28 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 20:47:03 Paul Fertser wrote:
> Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org> writes:
> > Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> >> Ok, how about you branching the current tip of andy-tracking to something
> >> called 'community' or 'pending-submission' and we move from there?
> >
> > I thought of just leaving andy-tracking "as is" and continue new
> > work in a new branch, but would this actually help ?
>
> Werner, i hope some real decision will be made about the proper kernel
> maintenance (and also goals and timelines) and then the development
> will continue.
>
> Before that all we can do is to store patches somewhere to not
> forget about them.

One suggestion from me is to reorganize the way GIT is used.
You should base your GIT branches on mainline branches. This way it is a _lot_
easier for downstream projects (OpenWRT) to adopt the code.

It basically works like this:
You keep track of the mainline kernel in the "master" branch of your repository.
So master is only used for pulling from mainline. No changes are committed to master.
Your OpenMoko changes to to other subbranches that are based on "master".

This way it's trivial for people to generate patches mainline->moko or even
merge moko patches into completely different repositories.

Currently we're having a very hard time in OpenWRT to extract moko patches
from the GIT repository, because it's not technically based on mainline.
With a repository as I described above, it would be a single GIT command to extract
this stuff and it could easily be automated.

Mirko, anything else that I missed?

--
Greetings, Michael.