kernel patch/repository status

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Thu Mar 26 17:23:43 CET 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 15:50:01 Sven Rebhan wrote:
> However, I would like to ask you to create a new stable branch,
> tracking 2.6.29.y releases + openmoko patches until 2.6.30 is out. To
> base the openmoko branch on linus (or rmk's ???) tree is also a good
> idea to be able to push things upstream.
>
> In the same direction, how are your plans for upstream submission? It
> would be good to get some feedback on mach-gta02 (in the proposed
> branch)...

Good question. Let me extend this question from a slightly different --
possibly heretic on this mailing list -- point of view... when can we stop
tracking upstream? Will the kernel for a certain machine ever be uhm.... "good
enough"? I know that may not sound sexy, but both from a userland and from a
distribution integrator point of view, I'd very much welcome if there was
anyone doing kernel development with that goal in mind.

:M: