Renaming of devices in 2.6.31

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Mon Nov 23 00:48:10 CET 2009

Am Montag, den 23.11.2009, 00:23 +0100 schrieb Lars-Peter Clausen:

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> >> Why do you want to do that?
> >> Yes. And I think it's pretty confusing.

> >> I know you can't understand that. But I'm following specs here
> >
> > I question the sanity of specs that say that a device with the
> > _same_ interface and semantics has to be exposed through different
> > names via sysfs. Can you point me to the relevant docs, please?
> You are free to do that.
>

> The naming spec for leds can be found at:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/leds-class.txt

Ok, I have read this. Twice to make sure I don't overlook anything.
Nowhere does it says that on an UmbaUmba Phone the vibrator needs to be
called UmbaUmba::vibrator. The line you are probably referring to is

"devicename:colour:function"

What 'devicename' reflects to is up to interpretation, in my opinion it
does not mean the device as a whole (UmbaUmba Phone), but rather the
peripheral device (FooBarCustomChip). As such, the same vibrator device
can be found in gta01 and gta02, hence needs to have the same name.

Richard, excuse me for disturbing you, but we need some advice here. As
the LED class maintainer, could you give your opinon on renaming those
class devices? The thread starts w/
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2009-November/010717.html

Thanks,

--