Renaming of devices in 2.6.31

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Nov 23 02:34:13 CET 2009

Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> No gta01 has gta01::vibrator

I actually like this much better than the old approach of trying to
come up with a permanent name that would encompass the whole range
of devices with such a subsystem.

If a new device joins the club, the structure of the kernel names
can stay the same, just user space needs to adapt the basename for
the respective device.

Not that the idea of having good permanent names wouldn't have its
appeal, but experience has shown that most of the names one comes
up with, despite the best intentions end up being neither good nor
particularly permanent.

However, I don't see a reason for not communicating such changes to
user space developers as soon as the changes are pushed. Leaving
them as "surprises" for people to discover on their own can only
cause confusion and wasted time.