kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups

Gennady Kupava gb at bsdmn.com
Wed Jan 6 19:51:26 CET 2010

В Срд, 06/01/2010 в 19:40 +0100, Patryk Benderz пишет:
> [cut]
> > so i propose to:
> > 1) disable debugging for sure.
> > 2) disable preemtion.
> > 3) disable optimization for speed.
> Hi Gennady,
> really great tests. Good someone looked into it :). IMHO I agree to
> disable these features, but only on stable releases. In Testing and
> Unstable kernels developers should have something in log files to dig
> through.

hi Patryk,

problem with your suggestion is that I'm hever heard of stable release
for fr, now everyone is forced to use kernel several times slower that
it is in real.

i can even hardly undertand this - everyone is talking about slowness of
freerunner, but no one want to just disable debugging features to have
speedup in times.

imo, kernel dev (who are 5% of community) can compile own version to do
development - anyway they need to compile it to do development.

also, preemption cann't help developers anyhow.

gennady