kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups/ debugging

Gennady Kupava gb at bsdmn.com
Sat Jan 9 21:45:45 CET 2010

В Сбт, 09/01/2010 в 23:06 +0300, Paul Fertser пишет:
> Vasco Nevoa <vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt> writes:
> > Please remove debugging stuff from kernel ASAP.
>
> I suspect that the most useful debugging features (that should be in
> kernels all users are using) add no overhead at all.
>
> So please show me why you think _all_ debugging features should be
> disabled and not just a subset that is responsible for the slowdown.
>
> Without that i'm not taking the responsibility to remove anything,
> sorry.

hi, paul

i still think that debugging options should be disabled unless we have
strong reason to enable them, so can you (or any other kernel developer)
as kernel developer name features useful for you and why users should
have them in daily usage. my initial mail were about that. please feel
free to ask me to help anyhow, here or in irc.

thanks for attention to this topic, gennady