kernel defconfig, debugging, preemption, and very noticeable speedups/ debugging

Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann mok at mnet-online.de
Sat Jan 9 22:25:25 CET 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Gennady Kupava wrote:

> В Сбт, 09/01/2010 в 23:06 +0300, Paul Fertser пишет:
> > Vasco Nevoa <vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt> writes:
> > > Please remove debugging stuff from kernel ASAP.
> >
> > I suspect that the most useful debugging features (that should be in
> > kernels all users are using) add no overhead at all.
> >
> > So please show me why you think _all_ debugging features should be
> > disabled and not just a subset that is responsible for the slowdown.
> >
> > Without that i'm not taking the responsibility to remove anything,
> > sorry.

> hi, paul

> i still think that debugging options should be disabled unless we have
> strong reason to enable them, so can you (or any other kernel developer)
> as kernel developer name features useful for you and why users should
> have them in daily usage. my initial mail were about that. please feel
> free to ask me to help anyhow, here or in irc.
I am *not* a kernel developer... though I understand why it makes a lot
of sense to have debugging enabled. Most of the time the real users will
hit a bug... and then can give usefull bug reports to the kernel guys
*if* debugging is enabled. On the other hand I understand (and agree)
that we want to get every speedup that is possible on our beloved device :)

IMO it makes a lot of sense to find out the single debug configs that
add overhead and just remove those.

--
Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann