Hope for the WiFi situation on Freerunner?

Sveinung Kvilhaugsvik sveinung84 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 5 01:01:08 CEST 2010

While looking arrond in linux-next today I found this commit[1] to
staging. It adds support for the AR6003 chip. The Freerunner uses an
chip in the AR600x-series. (An older revision than v3 I think). The
commit also talk about replacing it with a new driver based on
mac80211, ath6k. According to [2], the driver is supposed to be for
the AR600x family of chips while currently only v3 is supported. [2]
also contains (unfree) firmware for v3. Does anyone have an idea about
how useful all this is for the chip in the Freerunner? (For example:
How different is the AR6003 from the one in the Freerunner?)

Footnotes:
[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=commit;h=30295c8936f3a426985e99bebb17d72bd7847910
[2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath6kl

Sincerely