copy and paste vs. u-boot's usbtty

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 10 01:43:02 CET 2008

By the way, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge yet: u-boot's
usbtty has the well-known properly that it gets confused if data
arrives too rapidly. This means that the use of copy and paste is
quite limited. (To a lesser extent, the same problem also exists
for the serial port.)

Since fixing this seems to be tricky, I've implemented a different
solution a while ago: my "neocon" serial console utility supports
rate limiting of the data sent to the device.

Example:

% neocon -t 30 /dev/ttyACM{0,1}

Communicates over whichever device usbtty gets assigned to, limiting
input to about 300 bps, like in the good old days ;-)

"neocon" lives in http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/neocon/

- Werner