Current Opkg Status

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Feb 22 11:33:26 CET 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:11 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> I've updated the Opkg wiki page to reflect the current state of
> development.
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Opkg
>
> One issue that has been mentioned is code cleanup. There are several
> features and code that could be removed as part of this. One of the
> first (if there are no objections) would be to remove all code related
> to "familiar" distribution.
>
> If anyone has any patches to include, please mail them and I will add
> them to the list of applied patches once they are in SVN.

I'd like to propose:

http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/ipkg/files/update_version_comparision.patch?rev=3827&view=auto

This updates the version comparison algorithm within opkg to match the
latest in dpkg. This means that 0.0-foo is recognised as being > 0.0
+foo. The original code looked to have been taken from dpkg so this
shouldn't cause any problems. It also adds support for ~ in versions
which is something OE will be aiming for in due course.

http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky/trunk/meta/packages/ipkg/files/enable_debversion.patch?rev=3827&view=auto

This enables proper Debian style package revision handling instead of
lumping it in with the version comparison. OE makes heavy use of the PR
field and its important to enable this so the difference between
versions like 0.0-4-r0 and 0.0-r1 are properly acted upon.

That patch also rips out the familiar package revision junk. I'm not
aware of any of opkg's potential users needing the -famX suffix to
versions and its not compatible with the Debian version policy which OE
and I assume opkg will adhere to?

Regards,

Richard