opkg using wget...

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Tue Jun 10 13:00:12 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 19:05 +0300, Alexandros Kostopoulos wrote:
> I understand that wget is not used any more in opkg ; libcurl is used in
> its place now.
> Although I fully appreciate the superiority of libcurl and the fact that
> it is used using library calls instead of system(), there are some cases,
> in embedded systems with very limited resources (flash, in particular),
> that the overhead of libcurl may not be acceptable (whereas busybox wget
> size is insignificant).
> For this reason, I have prepared a patch against revision 4480 that
> disables curl and enables wget conditionally (using the --disable-curl
> option in configure) in compile time.

The main reason for using curl was it's ability to provide progress
callbacks during a download. If you know of a smaller library that also
provides this features, I think it might be worth investigating.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/