opkg vs. openpkg

Andreas Micklei nurgle at gmx.de
Thu Jun 26 14:57:15 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I just recently subscribed to this list and could not find in the archives if
this issue was raised before, so pardon my ignorance.

I would like to point out that there is a project called OpenPKG which has
been existing for six years now: http://www.openpkg.org/

It is a little confusing to have a package manager called opkg and a project
concerned with managing UNIX packages called OpenPKG which are totally
different. Maybe a different name should be choosen to avoid confusion.
People could think that opkg is just a short form for OpenPKG.

Further Background: OpenPKG is an RPM based system to manage a tree of
packages in some directory on a LINUX/UNIX/BSD system which is totally
seperated from the rest of the system. I use OpenPKG because the kolab
project http://www.kolab.org/ uses OpenPKG to package their groupware
solution. This might as some point become relevant here if someone implements
a kolab client for OpenMoko. If this happens administrators deploying a
groupware solution based on Free Software and augmented with Free Phones
might be confronted with using OpenPKG as well as opkg.

Just my 2 cent.

regards,
Andreas Micklei