opkg vs. openpkg

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Thu Jun 26 15:12:51 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:57 +0200, Andreas Micklei wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just recently subscribed to this list and could not find in the archives if
> this issue was raised before, so pardon my ignorance.
>
> I would like to point out that there is a project called OpenPKG which has
> been existing for six years now: http://www.openpkg.org/
>
> It is a little confusing to have a package manager called opkg and a project
> concerned with managing UNIX packages called OpenPKG which are totally
> different. Maybe a different name should be choosen to avoid confusion.
> People could think that opkg is just a short form for OpenPKG.
>
> Further Background: OpenPKG is an RPM based system to manage a tree of
> packages in some directory on a LINUX/UNIX/BSD system which is totally
> seperated from the rest of the system. I use OpenPKG because the kolab
> project http://www.kolab.org/ uses OpenPKG to package their groupware
> solution. This might as some point become relevant here if someone implements
> a kolab client for OpenMoko. If this happens administrators deploying a
> groupware solution based on Free Software and augmented with Free Phones
> might be confronted with using OpenPKG as well as opkg.

I don't think anyone was aware of this when we chose the new name, we
just needed a new name as quickly as possible. However, I prefer to
describe the system as "opkg package manager" as it leaves the 'o'
undefined.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/