Opkg Tags

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Tue Mar 4 11:03:04 CET 2008

Dnia Monday 03 of March 2008, Thomas Wood napisał:

> I've implemented an extra field in the opkg package descriptions,
> called "Tags". The idea is to fill this field with tags similar to
> debtags, although no format is yet defined.

Cool. Tags will be much better then section field which we use now and
which is mess...

> Would people agree to using a debtag style format? That is, a white
> space separated list with tag-name::tag-value style tags.

I agree with format. This will allow to make use of debtags related
software probably.

> It would probably be advantageous to define our own vocabulary that
> would be useful for embedded systems. The first problem I would like to
> solve with tags is the grouping of GUI visible applications into
> categories such as "Multimedia", "Internet", "Games", etc. Therefore, I
> would like to suggest three tags and possible values:

> role::[utility, application, library, data, repository]

How does utility differ from application?

> group::[communication, programming, games, network, multimedia,
> mapping]

> interface::[console, gui]

Lets take Pidgin from Debian:
 interface::x11
 network::client
 protocol::{irc,jabber,msn-messenger,oscar,ssl,yahoo-messenger}
 role::program
 uitoolkit::gtk
 use::chatting
 works-with::im
 x11::application

Tag suite::{openmoko,kde,gnome,pimlico} would be nice too.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

               How many calories are there in a light year?