Memory Usage in opkg

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Wed May 21 15:55:04 CEST 2008

I've also written up a full account of the progress on my blog:

http://blogs.gnome.org/thos/2008/05/21/opkg-memory-cleanup/

I also added a note about the graphs, which I think people may find
interesting:

The two peaks in the graph represent the parsing of the repository data
into a hash table. In my test application, the repository data is
updated from the feeds, so the package lists are re-parsed. Previously,
the main de-initialisation procedure for opkg (which, I hasten to add,
was inherited from ipkg) did not free the hash table of packages
properly, which meant every time the package list was refreshed, the
entire hash table of packages would be leaked. Had a user refreshed the
package list several times in one session, it’s likely the device would
very quickly have run out of memory.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/