Freerunner (GTK2007.2) has suddenly become unbootable

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 4 18:59:27 CEST 2008

casaubon wrote:

> Michael Shiloh wrote:
>>
>> Hey Jon,
>>
>> Why introduce another unknown into the equation? I recommend you follow
>> Niccolo's advice and follow the instructions at
>> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_Openmoko
>>
>> If you can't boot into NAND FLASH, use the failsafe u-boot image in NOR
>> FLASH.
>>

> Can you elaborate, please, Michael? The instructions at
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_Openmoko require a working usb
> connection, which I cannot seem to get. What operations are required to use
> the failsafe NOR u-boot?

You do need USB, but not Ethernet  over USB as you describe below.

Try this page instead:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_FreeRunner

Note that all the commands are issued on your host computer and not on
the Freerunner.

I try to get a usb connection and my host machine
> responds:

> # ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.248
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> usb0: unknown interface: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

This step is only required when you set up Ethernet over USB. For
flashing you do not need Ethernet.