Buzzing sound

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 5 11:55:58 CEST 2008

Am Di  5. August 2008 schrieb Sebastien Nanchen:

> Hello,
>
> I played with my Freerunner for some days now. I am part of the users who
> have the "buzzing sound" problem. I modified the sound configuration as
described
> in the wiki and was able to eradicate the echo (caller-side) and to make the
low-level
> voice volume (called-side) acceptable.

Fine! :-)

> But the buzzing sound stays and make the FR
> unusable as a phone (I tried both OM 2007.2 and the latest image of Qtopia).

The "GSM-buzz-noise" issue isn't related to image used. At least that's what
we think of it at the moment. It's a hw-issue. (Please note we fixed other
hw-issues by sw-patch - compare sd-card/GPS). Anyway there's no *bug* in any
of the sw-stacks/images that causes this issue, so changing image won't help,
until we eventually might find a sw-fix for the hw-issue.

> I know this was much discussed in the ML, and I'm sorry to come with this
topic again,
> but I haven't found any answer yet.

There isn't any yet. My regret :.(

> I would know if y missed some important information
> about a tweak solving this issue?

Only thing you may try for now is changing GSM-provider, as it seems to be
very clear the issue is to be found on some GSM-networks, and not (or less)
on some others. Generally the 1800/1900 networks seem to be more likely to
cause this problem than the 850/900 networks. For Germany I got reports f
noise only for E+ network (and resellers)

> If not, does somebody have an idea about how many users are experiencing the
same
> problem (10%, 30%, more?)

Hard to tell. We don't get sufficient number of reports, and due to nature of
reports nearly all are problem-reports, people without problems usually don't
post a report.

> Is there any hope we can use our freed phone as a phone in a foreseeable
future?

See above...
Investigation on issue continues.

cheers