Buzzing sound

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Tue Aug 5 18:35:18 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> BS decides on this depending on signal-quality of MS as BS sees it.
> It would be *very* helpful to confirm this, by using some RF-meter (e.g.
> microwave leakage tester?), and/or reading the battery current, while
> observing the noise come and go-

I tested this a while ago with my Neo1973, and the noise did get quieter
as the RF level went down. I can't quantify this - it was just
subjective observations.

The test was a cheap Radio Shack microwave leakage tester and the phone
sitting next to each other on my desk (not moved during the test). I
covered both of them with a metal mixing bowl to block some of the RF
signal. After I removed the bowl, the RF level stepped down a few times
(a couple of seconds between steps) and the buzzing got quieter at each
step.

I didn't look at the battery current. The Neo was transmitting audio
throughout this test.