Unnecessary rant - Was: Re: USB networking in Ubuntu

Olivier Berger oberger at ouvaton.org
Wed Aug 6 09:07:48 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> writes:

> Maybe just adding the link by yourself would have been enough :-(

Yay maybe.

> My job is to fix your hw and create new one, not to supply links.

Well... dunno what your employer tells you to do... but I consider
good practice to provide explicit links to valid information for
*customer support* interactions, rather than say "Mr smith told
something in past 48 hours" when that mr smith posts tons of emails.

At least, as a volunteer, I tend to provide explicit information (and
complement with wiki editing) as much as I can... so I would expect so
from professionals... but I guess you're overwhelmed by mail, so I
know it's hard to take time to browse the web archives to retrieve a
link and that adds extra burden compared to coding and such.

But please, think about your customers.

> C'mon encourage me to give such information in the future, when I come along.
> Best regards
> jOERG

Thanks for the good job, and sorry for my pendantic tone.

P.S.: been working for years in SW industry for customer service on
application maintainance, been there, done that ;)

--
Olivier BERGER
http://www.olivierberger.com/weblog/