Can't Boot Qtopia from microSD

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 6 10:07:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

If someone has Qtopia (or any other distro, for that matter) booting
from microSD, I'd appreciate very step-by-step instructions, because it
is not working for me and I have poured over the wiki's various pages
related to this.  Here's what I've done:

1. Partitioned my 8GB microSD card thus:
partition1: FAT32
partition2: ext2
partition3: ext2
partition4: ext2

each partition is roughly 2GB.

2. partition2 is where I want to put Qtopia.
After formatting it ext2 and mounting the partition, I did:
wget http://qtopia.net/downloads/neo/qtopia-4.3.2-gta02-flash-07221045.tgz
tar zvxf qtopia-4.3.2-gta02-flash-07221045.tgz
mv uImage*.bin uImage.bin

I changed the kernel name based on something I read stating it had to be
called uImage.bin (is that wrong?)

3. I upgraded my NAND U-boot to a post-July 23 version. I think I have
the August 5 version now.

4. I edited by NAND U-boot menu to include:
setenv menu_9 Boot from microSD part2 (ext2+ext2): setenv bootargs
\${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
\${mtdparts} ro\; mmcinit\; ext2load mmc 1 0x32000000
\${sd_image_name}\; bootm 0x32000000

5. I try to boot from that new NAND U-boot option and while the error
page goes away so fast I cannot really read it, by doing it dozens of
times, I think it cannot even mount the ext2 partition, and thus cannot
find a kernel image.  I get shot back to the U-boot menu right away.

Thanks for any help.  If I figure all this out, there is going to be a
single crystal clear wiki page on this when I get done.

Brian