Debian - How to install the kernel

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Aug 7 11:07:22 CEST 2008

> I boot Debian and it runs fsck (every time). If it finds errors and
> corrects
> them, then the kernel is said to be corrupted. Can I not make the
> partition
> read-only? Or so that fsck doesn't run on it?

check /etc/fstab.
the partition containing the kernel could be set to ro (3d column from teh
right) and fsck disbaled by setting the 1st column from the right to 0.
but that's curing merely symptoms -- it does not help w/ the apparent
corruption.
if fsck runs on _every_ boot than the shutdown is not clean.
what partition types are you using?
before shutting down next time try to switch to runlevel 1 and remount the
partitions ro (you will need to do that via ssh, i think)

mount /dev/whatever /yourmountpoint -o remount,ro

and shut down. does the fsck occur at the next boot?