Compiling C on the phone

Dirk Bergstrom openmoko at otisbean.com
Fri Aug 8 21:36:52 CEST 2008

I installed 2008.8 today, and after playing around with it for an hour
or so, I set out to install kedpm, a pygtk password manager.  I
installed pygtk and friends, but I ran into trouble trying to get
pycrypto installed.  It has a bunch of C extensions that need to be
compiled.

After a few hours banging my head on the desk, I have so far installed
the following packages:

python-devel
python-setuptools
gcc
cpp
cpp-symlinks
gcc-symlinks
libc6-dev

But I'm stuck at this point:

# gcc hello.c
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

Also, there is no 'ld' to be found on the phone, so I'm sure I'll need
that as well.

Is there a package or packages I can install to get everything I need to
build python C extentions on the phone?  Is there a way to build them on
my linux machine that doesn't require building the entire openmoko
distribution first?

Failing that, does anyone have a pycrypto package I can download?

--
Dirk