Keyboard guid

Sjors Provoost sjors at sprovoost.nl
Sun Aug 10 13:22:10 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I am sure this has been announced before, but I am sure I am not the
only one who only stumbled into it by accident after hours of
experimentation and reading bug reports and heated debates. So I will
just increase its pagerank a bit.

There are two guides on how to use the new om2008.8 keyboard!

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2008.8_Keyboard
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2008.8_Guide

* how to switch between layouts (small, caps, numeric, special characters)
* how to do backspace
* how to turn it on and off

Even though one of the guides is linked directly from
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2008.8, I think it needs a more
prominent spot and a better catch phrase*. For some reason I did read
the installation instructions, but did not even notice this important
link. I think I am not the only one. So that means I am probably
stupid, but so are most people; this will be a fun challenge for the
usability team.

* : e.g. right after "install" in the "Download" subsection (I would
also switch these titles by the way; "Install" is the real main
message here and you'll need to "download" before you can do that)
have a "Get started" subsection. That should have a text like: "You'll
probably want to learn about the new keyboard.".

Sjors