Screen doesn't dim in 2008.8 release

Nathan Kinkade nath at nkinka.de
Tue Aug 12 02:01:34 CEST 2008

I don't see any other posts about the screen not automatically dimming
and then blanking in 2008.8 release.  Is anyone else experiencing
this?  In the settings I can set the brightness between "low",
"medium" and "high", but it seems like the screen should automatically
dim and then blank after a short period of inactivity, but mine isn't
doing that.

Related to this, I played around a little with xset:

# xset -display :0 s blank  <-- No effect
# xset -display :0 s activate <-- Suspends the device.

I have no idea why xset would suspend the device.  Is there something
I don't know about how suspend works on the Freerunner?  Anyone have
any input how to get the screen to dim and then blank all by itself
with inactivity, but not going into suspend?

Thanks,

Nathan