Testing WIFI and GPS hardware

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Fri Aug 15 20:27:49 CEST 2008

> strength of 27/94 according to the "iwlist eth0 scan" command. Other
> people have reported that WIFI to unsecured WAPs worked out-of-the-box,

i think, you need at least to associate with the ap, ie use iwconfig to
set the ap and maybe the channel.

>    Although I couldn't get WIFI to work under the "Locations" graphical
> application (which says "Searching for your location" and then "ERROR:
> Unable to locate a fix" when I turn on GPS), I haven't heard of much
> success from others either.

not sure, what you're talking about -- wifi or gps?

>    It would be nice if the wiki had some simple procedures for testing
> the
> Freerunner to verify that the hardware works as it should

- check whether wifi and gps are enabled
- make sure you got a recent kernel (ie one that includes the gps fix,
_not_ the one the fr came with)
- make sure you are in a spot where gps works! use a second gps device to
check, if possible
- do iwconfig eth0 and check the output, do iwlist eth0 scan and check the
output. if you see meaningful lines (with an wpa nearby you should see it
as well), he wifi hw is ok
- do
echo 1 >
/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/neo1973-pm-gps.0/pwron
cat /dev/ttySAC1
and watch the output, after a while the should be lines with all fields
filled