Customizing official Debian

Thomas Krahn thomas at familytreedna.com
Wed Aug 20 17:53:10 CEST 2008

Chris,

follow the 2 steps which you cited below.

With Automatic Login you shouldn't need to log in.
This is what helped for me too.

If you insist in having a logon screen (I don't think this is necessary
on a OM device) you will need to add a launcher for the matchbox
keyboard at the end of your kdm launcher script.

Once you're logged in, you can access the matchbox keyboard from Start >
Accessories.
In my version Zhone wasn't completely de-installed, but it could be
launched with STart > Office > Zhone.

I didn't test the functionality however because I don't have a working
GSM card right now.
I'm stuck with Verizon right now and I don't want to switch to T-mobile
before they come out with their Android phone.

I am absolutely happy with my xfce4 desktop. This is what I was thinking
about when I bought my OM Freerunner.
For a basic finger friendly phone I launch OM2008.8 from the flash and
for the real stuff I have Debian on a 8 GB card.

After a little work things start to get interesting.

BTW I needed to format the boot partition in vfat. EXT2 didn't work
because the modification of the u-boot_env nearly bricked my Freerunner.
For some reason the modification script wasn't able to modify my
environment section. I got size differences and consistent crc errors.
Flashing the OM with the corrupt environment fas fatal. Thank goodness I
saved my old environment file so that I was able to recover it.
Now I have vfat on my boot partition and everything works fine.

Thomas