Dead battery

Konstantin Chaosspawn23 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 20 20:17:14 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> | I have completely drained my battery to the point where the Freerunner
> | will not boot and hence I cannot charge it.
>
> I can't recommend this, but FYI I routinely use Freerunners here without
> any battery by shorting USB V+ to Battery V+ pin with no battery present
> The first testpoint below the USB connector marked V, partially obscured
> by WLAN module, is USB V+; battery connector pin nearest the board edge
> is Battery V+).
>
> Personally, I would start Freerunner like this hooked to a lpatop over
> USB, then add the battery and remove USB V+ from Battery V+ immediately
> after.  But I can't recommend it and if you follow my rampaging
> devil-may-care hardware schemes you get to keep any smoking craters /
> severed limbs that result :-)

I don't know if that is relevant, but some days ago, I think I had a dead
battery, too (freerunner shut down, didn's start via the power button or by
connecting the charger), and for me, it helped to start into NOR (which
surprisingly worked) and then boot from there. The FR started up and began
charging and worked happily ever after... :)
OTOH, maybe I was just lucky and the battery was simply not as empty as with the
others who experienced the dead-battery-thing, but trying can't hurt, can it? ;)

Regards,
Konstantin