preserving illume keyboard on update

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 25 03:01:21 CEST 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:53:47 +0200 Jelle De Loecker <skerit at kipdola.com>
babbled:

the whole keyboard thing is a mess right now. illume has one - that seemingly
people want. qpe has one that om wants. illume provides a gui config to turn
it's keyboard on and off or launch a 3rd party vkbd app and use that. this gui
is turned off by om and pretty much permanently inaccessible. qpe doesn't
provide any way to say "yes" or "no" to getting its keyboard up. so basically
qpe is playing the game of "take my keyboard or dont use qpe" right now, and
illume is playing the game of "do what you want - i have config for that", but
that game is pretty much inaccessible.

there is a dbus call you can use to fiddle with some config but that
incantation needs a dbus session key (so you'll need to steal it from a running
session or do this with a terminal on the FR itself), but this still will only
affect illume and do nothing about qpe.

this all needs to be resolved and so it'll be a mess until it's cleared up. the
wiki is not really correct - it's well behind any development and it's not
really understanding how the keyboard works, but that has been changing rapidly.