my freerunner experiences

umaxx umaxx at oleco.net
Mon Aug 25 17:09:30 CEST 2008

hi all,

i got my freerunner some days ago and want to share my experiences.

- i installed debian on sdcard (works fine without problems but zhune
  is too minimalistic for me) - for now i'm happy with the upgraded
  2007.x.

- i solved all these annoying audio suspend/resume issues
  (http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1599) by using/modified
  script version of the idea from mwester. IMHO this has nothing to do
  with navit or speech-dispatcher, here is how i solved this:

/etc/apm/resume.d:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Aug 23 20:13 15neosleep -> ../scripts.d/neosleep

/etc/apm/scripts.d:
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          503 Aug 25 09:04 neosleep

/etc/apm/suspend.d:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           21 Aug 23 20:13 15neosleep -> ../scripts.d/neosleep

root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/apm/scripts.d/neosleep
#!/bin/sh

#DEBUG_FILE=/home/root/neosleep.log
#exec >>$DEBUG_FILE 2>&1

case "${1},${2}" in
    (suspend,*)
libgsmd-tool --mode atcmd <<EOF
AT%CSQ=0
AT+CREG=0
AT%CPRI=0
AT%CTZV=0
AT+CTZR=0
AT
EOF
echo "1" >/sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/flowcontrolled
pactl suspend-sink 1
        ;;
    (resume,suspend)
echo "0" >/sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/flowcontrolled
sleep 1
pactl suspend-sink 0
sleep 5
libgsmd-tool --mode atcmd <<EOF
AT%CSQ=1
AT+CREG=2
AT%CPRI=1
AT
EOF
        ;;
esac

- navit+espeak+... like described in the wiki is working for me except
  one problem: i can not add a destination, after filling in all fields
  successfully (with autocompletion) - i found no way to add this
  destination and leave the "enter destination" dialog - any hints?

- gprs is working fine here with eplus in germany, with the following
  scripts (modified versions of the base scripts in the wiki)

root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/ppp/peers/eplus
#debug
#logfile /var/volatile/log/pppd.log
/dev/ttySAC0 115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/ppp/eplus-connect-chat'
crtscts
lock
hide-password
defaultroute
usepeerdns
disconnect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/ppp/eplus-disconnect-chat'
holdoff 3
ipcp-accept-local
lcp-echo-failure 8
lcp-echo-interval 3
noauth
noipdefault
novj
novjccomp
replacedefaultroute
persist
#demand
#idle 20
lcp-echo-interval 3
lcp-echo-failure 12
user "eplus"

root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/ppp/eplus-connect-chat
TIMEOUT 180
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT VOICE
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
ABORT DELAYED
ABORT ERROR
'' ATZ
OK "ATE0V1"
OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.eplus.de"'
OK "ATD*99#"
"CONNECT" ""

root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/ppp/eplus-disconnect-chat
ABORT OK
ABORT BUSY
ABORT DELAYED
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT ERROR
ABORT RINGING
TIMEOUT 12
"" \\k\\k\\k\\d+++ATH\
"NO CARRIER-AT-OK" ""

- (hs)csd is working too with eplus. similar to the config above except
  that there is no init-string needed and a different phone number
  needed, as described here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO/infrared-howto-s-cellular-phone-connection.html#AEN857

- pyroute is not starting complaining about missing cairo python modul
  (which *is* installed). mailinglist archiv says it is broken:
http://n2.nabble.com/Can%27t-run-python-apps---ImportError:-No-module-named-cairo-td729990.html
  so i installed latest angstrom version, which  gives the same error -
  any hints?

- gpsdrive package seems to be broken too - not even starting:
  complaining about missing libpcre, which *is* installed.

- gpe-timesheet package  seems broken too, depends on libtododb which
  was not installed, after installing it, everything went fine.

so far, so good, everything is working exepct gps-routing, maybe someone
has some hints for me :)

regards,

j__rg