Sim card and carrier

Pedro Ugartemendia garrop at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 06:17:28 CEST 2008

I know the topic about SIM cards has been previously raised, but I
   have a couple of questions. I do have my FR since a couple of weeks
   and I am enjoying a lot despite the lack of sound codinig knowledge. I
   plan to participate with the community via translation efforts in the
   short term. I have used Qtopia until the latest stable release of
   Om2008.08 and have also installed Debian on an SD card for testing
   purposes.
   I do have one SIM card which is actually my personal phone number (vs.
   the professional one) and although this card works fine with other
   mobiles, the FR does not seem to see it. It is the only one of my four
   SIM cards that does not work on the FR. It is also the only one that
   comes from an MVNO. I have reported it at the wiki, but wanted to dig
   deeper and have tried:
   root at om-gta02:~# libgsmd-tool -m atcmd
   -sh: libgsmd-tool: not found
   root at om-gta02:~# opkg install libgsmd
   Package libgsmd (0.1+svnr4335-r44) installed in root is up to date.
   root at om-gta02:~# opkg install libgsmd-tool
   An error ocurred, return value: 2.
   root at om-gta02:~# opkg install libgsmd-tool
   An error ocurred, return value: 2.

- Ignored:
   root at om-gta02:~# libgsmd-tool -m atcmd
   -sh: libgsmd-tool: not found

   My simple questions:

   - How do I make libgsmd-tool work ok?

   - The problem with the SIM cards in general, is it hardware or
   software related?

   I would be happy to test or do all the steps to help anyone willing to
   help me. I have not asked for a new SIM card to my carrier as the
   procedure is not so simple and that is the last thing I will try once
   I know that that must be the issue.

   I have also tested a dual-sim device that I used with one Symbian
   phone to carry 2 sim cards with me and it does not seem to work. Does
   anybody know if this could ever work under the FR?

   Keep the good work and thanks in advance for your support. It is a
   pleasure to see things move quickly in the right direction.