Sound on Debian + Neo 1973

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Sat Aug 30 06:17:33 CEST 2008

Christopher Allan Webber <cwebber at dustycloud.org> writes:

> Oh, I finally got sound working.  Turns out the installer script
> doesn't do it for the 1973, at least not for me.... but all I had to do
> was run the instructions here:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manual_Debian#Enable_Sound

So I've noticed that the instructions that I just pointed to allow you
to play audio, say, through mpg321 and so on.  However, they don't allow
you to listen or hear audio in phone calls.  To do that you need to run:

alsactl -f /etc/alsa_state_files-working/gsmhandset.state restore

To switch back to listening to MP3's and such, I had to run

alsactl -f /etc/alsa_state_files-working/stereoout.state restore

(I figured this out by looking at this page:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_Audio_Subsystem )

So it doesn't seem I can both set up my phone to listen to mp3's and
communicate in calls at the same time (thus, I can't currently have a
ringtone working!)

I notice this isn't a problem with the FSO snapshot I checked out.
What's happening differently between the FSO snapshot and the default
debian install?  I'd like to make it so that the debian install can do
what the FSO snapshot can, so people can actually make calls and have a
ringtone, etc.

I see this is partly addressed at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_Audio_Subsystem#playback

This seems to be more planning documentation though, and obviously
something *must* be implemented at this point if it's working on the
FSO.  What's missing from this picture?