Using AGPS - the GPS device suddenly seems to have got nuked!

Carl Lobo carllobo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 03:56:01 CET 2008

Hi Folks,
I'm having some problems with GPS on my freerunner. I had followed the
steps in the wiki about using AGPS with assist-online and it had been
working very well for me the last few weeks until now. Yesterday when
I ran the python script as I usually do, I didn't get a fix for quite
a while and tangogps showed me a red exclamation mark in the status
bar. So I got home and put my frameworkd into debug mode and found the
log full of messages like these:
2008.12.10 08:11:10 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX
',,,,,,,,,N*30\r\n$'
2008.12.10 08:11:10 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX
'G,,*48\r\n$GPGSA,A'
2008.12.10 08:11:10 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX
',0*79\r\n$GPGLL,,,'
2008.12.10 08:11:10 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX
',,,V,N*64\r\n$GPZDA,,,,,00'
2008.12.10 08:11:10 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX ',00*48\r'
2008.12.10 08:11:11 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX '\n$GPRMC,'
2008.12.10 08:11:11 ogpsd    DEBUG    Discarded data not UBX ',,,,,,,,'
It seems like valid data across lines, but something obviously went
horribly wrong while writing the UBX data to the Antaris.
I've tried power cycling the GPS chip as well as the device several
times, also the all the kinds of resets available in the agpsui
testing tool, running the assist online script again, writing a blank
file of the same size to /dev/ttySAC1 - basically everything that I
could think of from whats documented. I've even left it running for a
couple of hours hoping the data would run out, but it's of no help.
Is there any way I can fix this or am I stuck with a nuked GPS?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
Carl