Not supporitng GTA01? [Was: [openmoko-announce] Om 2008.12 & Beyond]

Peter Rasmussen plr at udgaard.com
Tue Dec 23 19:22:14 CET 2008

Funny comment, as are too many of those from the OpenMoko camp :-(

My Neo1973 was from one of the first, if not the first batch sent out to
regular people and nobody was more excited about OpenMoko than I. Sean
probably doesn't remember it, but if he has saved his mails, he'll have
the mail trail.

1.The Neo1973, the GTA01, was promoted as the final developer's version
of a platform that would be the open source version of iPhone. When it
shipped, it couldn't even boot the image it was shipped with!?!
2.The follow up to the Neo1973, then just known as the GTA02 was
supposed to be a general available phone for the masses, in September 2006.
3.Let me repeat that: The GTA02 was supposed to be a general available
phone for the masses, in September 2006!
4.However, since then, the GTA01 and the GTA02 were rebranded as
developer's versions of a platform that will be OK, real soon now!
5.The GTA01 was apparently orphaned and is now a 'collectors item'. So I
paid $500USD for a potential collectors item? (item cost+handling +tax)
for which I am not happy, as I appreciate it's potential huge value in
the hardware it is made up of.
6.The OpenMoko camp failed miserably in many ways, of which the most
obvious, as is unfortunately the usual scene, the management failed to
understand their task.
7.If the GTA0? was to be a developer's platform, then why wasn't it
developed as such?
   7.A A developer's platform will contain elements as 'focus on making
it easy to produce an environment to develop the kernel and platform
software'
   7.B A developer's platform will produce easy communication between
*all* developers and not just the primadonnas that are good enough to
make *something work, *but apparently not to talk with the lesser able
in order to make a whole team work for the whole.
8.I am not a highly efficient core developer type, but more on the later
wave, and as a tester. I can do module and system test very well with
reports that will be useful for core system developers, see for example
Openmoko Bug #1158.

So, if the OpenMoko team at FIC is serious about supporting the
community, please communicate it much more clearly, and don't think you
have the backing the size of the Linux kernel!

You see, apparently you haven't been able to after now several years,
create an image on the Neo 1973 that will not run out of juice even when
apparently shut off, after 12 hours. Colour me unimpressed! The calorie
meter you have on the GTA02 should only be able to tell you better
values to show on the display, but if you had better control of the
actual electric consumption it should last better than 12hours, after
apparently shutting off the device.

Colour me unimpressed!

Then, you are apparently trying to develop this device to the whole
world, but aren't able to, after more than a year able to produce
support for anything else than the US ASCII character set when writing
SMS. And FIC being in a Chinese country that actually needs double byte
character sets, I am amazed that it wasn't in the first image!

Colour me unimpressed!

So, the whole situation reeks of a top management problem to recognize
the issues of making a platform that has the basic problems at issue,
instead of letting everyone on the FIC/OpenMoko payroll know that
producing a working platform for everyone else is important.

Sean Moss-Pultz hasn't done his job.

I work as a developer for Motorola, but with infrastructure not the
mobile handset divisions, and there a number of people have also lately
not done their job well, but we still sell multi-million handsets a year
and have since 1973, so at least a history has been made. OpenMoko still
has to.

My Neo1973 looks more an more like a door stop, and my friends with
iPhones, HTC Touch and such understands my original excitement less and
less!

Peter