Linking Freerunner with OpenSuse 10.3 (64-bit)

Matt Luzum mluzum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 04:22:22 CEST 2008

Lisa wrote:
> ~ Has anyone out there figured out how to set the freerunner up to
> connect to the internet thru Suse 10.3?  If so I could use a little help
> with it.
> ~    I'm unsure of how to start as nothing in the Getting to know your
> freerunner page is Suse friendly.

Well, as I mentioned in my e-mail earlier today, here is what I've
figured out so far.  Someone who knows better should feel free to add or
correct.  I'll assume you're asking about connecting the Freerunner to a
host computer running Suse via USB, and trying to get the Freerunner to
connect to the internet, routed through the host computer.

To be able to ssh into the Freerunner, it works to follow the "Manual
Method" under "Connect to the Neo FreeRunner By USB Networking", typing
in a console in Suse:

ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.200 netmask 255.255.255.0
ssh root at 192.168.0.202

A better solution so you don't have to do this every time is to go to
YaST Control Center -> Network Devices -> Network Card (or something
like this.  I'm using 11.0 right now and I think it had a slightly
different name in 10.3.  It also works to type "yast2 lan &" in a
terminal as root.)  There should be an entry for a USB Network Device or
something similar that's probably not configured yet.  Select it and
click "Edit", and under the "Address" tab click "Statically assigned IP
Address, enter 192.168.0.200 under "IP Adress" and 255.255.255.0 under
"Subnet Mask".  Click next and then finish.

After that you should be able to ssh to the FreeRunner:

ssh root at 192.168.0.202

To get Suse to route traffic from the FreeRunner to the internet you can
copy and paste the "iptables" part from the Ubuntu instructions:

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &

This should allow you to access IP addresses directly, and you can then
follow the "Updating DNS" section to get that working, since that's all
done on the FreeRunner and isn't OS specific.  I had to look at
/etc/resolv.conf on my host computer and use those name servers instead
of the OpenDNS ones suggested in the wiki.

That's all I've figured out so far, but hopefully it helps you at least
get started.

Matt