Neo Freerunner stopped booting (not due to the battery)

Ales Horak ales.horak at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 14:55:47 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

I have been using Neo Freerunner for 2 months as a daily phone
with updated 2008.9 without any problems. two days ago my Neo
stopped booting at the 40% of the splash screen and does not go
further. if I press the power button for a few seconds, the phone
turns off, on next booting however it goes only to the 40% and
thats all.

then I flashed the rootfs with newest FDOM and the kernel with
Om2008.9-gta02-20080916.uImage.bin and it booted fully. today,
after about 24 hours, the phone again boots just to the 40%.

the exact behavior is (see the images at
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~hales/scr.png):

    1. standard booting, 30 seconds pause after

        pcf50633 0-0073: setting system clock to 2008-11-09 12:48:08 UTC (1226234888)

    2. then it says:

        CRCFAIL 0x1a3f
        CRCFAIL 0x1a3f
        CRCFAIL 0x1a3f
        Freeing init memory: 128K
        PM: Removing info for No Bus:vcs1
        PM: Removing info for No Bus:vcsa1

    3. booting splash appears and goes up to 40%, then stops for
       about 1-2 minutes

    4. the splash goes away and the following error messages are
       the last thing displayed:

        Failed to set owner -root- for -/var/run/utmp-.
        Failed to set mode -0664- for -/var/run/utmp-.
        Failed to set owner -root- for -/var/run/resolv.conf-.
        Failed to set mode -0644- for -/var/run/resolv.conf-.
        Failed to set owner -root- for -/var/run/wtmp-.
        Failed to set mode -0664- for -/var/run/wtmp-.
        Failed to set owner -root- for -/var/lock/subsys-.
        Failed to set mode -0755- for -/var/lock/subsys-.
        PM: Removing info for No Bus:vcs2
        PM: Removing info for No Bus:vcsa2

       the only thing that can be done with the phone is to turn
       it off with the power button.

does anyone know what happened to this Neo?

does anyone know how to repair it?

thanks,
--
Ales Horak