Neo Freerunner stopped booting (not due to the battery)

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Nov 12 11:32:47 CET 2008

> lsmod displays just one module - ipv6

sounds familiar.
when was the last time you updated your kernel/modules?

> ifconfig does not show any interface
> the only '*ether*' module under /lib/modules is
> /lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/drivers/net/usb/cdc_ether.ko

i am pretty sure there should be g_ether as well -- and since it went awol
it's probably the cause of your worries.

> however, if I boot the Neo fully from the SD-card with Om2008.9,
> then lsmod displays the same module (ipv6) and cdc_ether is also
> the only '*ether*' module found.
> ifconfig displays eth0, lo and usb0.

sounds like the modules are built-in, lo is ok (forgot it) but eth0 is
wlan. i wonder why it would be enabled by default.

anyway, i propose to update your kernel/modules and reboot. since you got
another booting installation on your sd card it should be pretty safe.

>> as a workaround (i do not know, how the script continues) you might try
>> put an & at the end of that line
>> ifup -a &
>> so that, hopefully, the process backgrounds and the booting continues.
>
> hmm - and is this a good idea?

how would i know? :-)
as said before: i don't know the script in question and the distribution
either. you could even remove the link, causing the script to remain
unexecuted.