NTP

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 28 18:07:31 CET 2008

> I'll find it very sexy if it were possible to get the time from the
> GPS signal, too. (in case there is no network available)
> Any thoughts about that done by anyone?

I've done it with

   server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
   fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.0 refid GPS

in /etc/ntp.conf (it uses gpsd, aka ogpsd, tho I haven't tried it with
ogpsd).  But note that it only gives a 1s accuracy and not only the
"offset" can be large but it can vary.  Normally the GPS is used by ntpd
using a PPS interface, which gives much better info, but it appears it's
not available.  Not sure if it's a problem in gpsd, or in the GPS chip,
or the driver, or ...

I'm also wondering if the GSM connection can give us some time info.
It probably wouldn't be high-quality either, but at least it would be
available almost always, so it would be very useful.

        Stefan